Before we headed off to NZ I signed up for a foot massage and reflexology one day introduction course. My reasoning was that I just wanted to know more about healing the body, and more importantly I wanted to learn how to give a nice relaxing massage.
Four or five weeks later (ie today) I had to go on my course. I had yesterday off work so I got all my things together, then it started to sink in that I was going to a FOOT massage course and it had been promised that we would get a foot massage. Now I'm pretty smart (sometimes) so I equated this to the fact that we would also have to GIVE a foot massage. I started to obsess about feet, thinking what kind of feet people would have and how do you touch someone elses feet without tickling them. I was very tempted to not go, but I just thought, no I signed up for this for a reason and I'm going.
So armed with my new foot lotion (a treat), a towel, my homemade sushi, and a big block of chocolate I set off. I was about 15mins early as I always seem to be in Oxford. As the others arrived I was pleased to see that it was mostly females and all about my age so there were heaps of lovely people to talk to. There were also the two token males that came along with their girlfriends. It was about then that I wished Peter could have come (he had a gig that night).
Anyway, onwards and downwards in this case. We had the icebreaker session where we had to fine a person for each of the statements on our piece of paper, someone that likes their feet, someone who is ticklish, someone who has walked on hot coals, someone with a size six. Somehow word got around quick that I had walked on coals so that was me known by all! Next up was learning some exercises to warm our fingers and hands (excellent). Then we had a look at our feet, that was weird, how often do you really look at your feet, how well do you know them?
We then did some foot exercise to get the circulation going and to strengthen them. After we were all warmed up it was time to examine our partners feet. If you think looking at your own feet is strange, try looking at someone elses for a long period of time, now try looking at a complete strangers foot! After we had had a good look we started to learn how to massage. The rest of the day was spent practicing and adding in a few reflex points.
Added in was a bit of history and some hand strengthening exercises. All in all it was a very useful day, I'm looking forward to practicing so lucky Peter gets lots of foot massages over the next few weeks, maybe I'll teach him how to do it too!
Saturday, April 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment